snug

snug

Friday, November 27, 2015

Baby Lumberjack Quilt

     I have only nine first cousins, and they are all dear to me.  The first of us is now a grandmother - and I wanted to create a quilt for that new baby boy!  His parents were married in a forested park, with everyone wearing lumberjack jackets and apparel.  I decided to try to make a quilt which had the same vibe.  I had remnants of many homespun fabrics which had been used for a number of quilts such as this one.  I decided those would work!

      I cut the strips into 12 inch long pieces, and then sewed them together randomly.
        I then cut two 5 1/2 inch wide strips from each piece, which I sewed together into 8 long rows.
      The random width of the strips made for a very scrappy look.
      I finally got a Tiara II, after years of dreaming.  This is my first finished quilt on my new machine!
      I still have some practicing to do, but was pleased over all at the ease of quilting with all the room on the table, and pretty happy with the stitching (I did not buy the stitch regulator yet)
      I tried a new free motion pattern, and I like how it looks.  I certainly do it again.
      The backing is a mix of two fabrics I have been hoarding, both of which seemed perfect for this quilt.  Below is an Alexander Henry fabric, showing kids camping.
      The other is also an Alexander Henry fabric, full of little mushrooms!
      Here is my trusty quilt holder on a calm November day, showing off the back of the quilt.
      It washed up nice and crinkly.  It is a bit big for a baby quilt, 50 x 38, but will certainly keep him warm!
Welcome to the family, baby Theo!

Take care,
Gretchen


Sunday, November 8, 2015

Finished Christmas Table Runners!


The finished runners on a beautiful fall day!
     My project to use up yards of my Christmas fabric stash by making some Christmas table runners is complete.  I've written about my efforts herehere, and  here .  Before putting on the binding, I calculated that these 14 runners used up about 15 yards of fabric.  I think the binding used up at least 4 more.   I have not yet run out of fabric (although these made a huge dent in the pile), but I may have run out of steam!  I finished these a few weeks ago, but bad weather, the time change and a busy workplace hindered my blogging updates!
All the runners on the deck. 
One of the runners in a more realistic setting.  
I remembered to add my tag to each of the runners!
Following are more pictures of the fronts and backs of these runners. 








     Glad to get these done!   I just got a Tiara II, and am spending time getting used to that, and I have a few non-holiday projects that I must get to.  It is hard to believe, looking at those calm waves, that last year about this time (11/17), we got hammered with 7 feet of snow!
View of the deck last November.  Hmmmm, the lake looks the same.  

Here is hoping for a less snowy November.

Take care,
Gretchen