I am still working on my many blocks for the 'On Ringo Lake' quilt, but wanted to get a project ready for the quilting machine. I like having the ability to work on a pieced project on my regular sewing machine (a Bernina QE 153) and also something on my mid arm (Baby Lock Tiara II). Since I finished quilting my little mini quilt (details next post), I pulled out the block of the month sampler I had finished last year for a guild challenge to get ready to quilt.
There are not many parts of quilting that I don't like, but I am not keen on piecing backs and usually buy wide backing fabric to avoid this. However, sometimes I find some good deals on yardage and can buy enough to simply sew two pieces together to make backing large enough for my quilts. I typically buy 5 yards if there is enough available.
If you have followed my blog, you will know that I rarely plan sizes, but just make quilts that end up whatever size they are. This one was no exception, and my decision to use the old applique blocks in the corners made the quilt bigger than my normal lap quilt. This will be wonderful for watching TV in the winter, but not so great for making a backing. The fabric I purchased was not enough! Horrors - I have to piece the backing!
I have a bin of "orphan blocks" and found that I had 11 solid color stars on black. The raw blocks were about 12 inches square. I am pretty sure these were a failed project from the mid 2000s. I know I made a few throw pillows from these in 2008. They have otherwise languished in the bin.
Well, now they are part of this quilt. But, they weren't wide enough, and I wanted some extra fabric on the sides to center them for the back. So, I added a piece of the backing fabric to both sides. I then added a larger pieced part of the backing to the top. It turned out, this was also not quite wide enough, so I had to add a bit more to each side (to keep the stars centered).
|And one more on the top that didn't make it into the photo!|
The 90 inch wide Warm and Natural will work on this piece. At least I don't have to also piece together the batting!
|The finished backing.|
I took a break mid day on Thursday and started fiddling around with solids and curves, just to try something out. I became inspired, and just kept going. I started with the one in the hot summer colors, and then ended up with 4!
|Quite a contrast - the freeform shapes and the "On Ringo Lake" blocks!|
Today, after watching that wedding, I sewed around the forms with white. Not quite sure where this is going, but someplace fun! I feel compelled to complete this as a little wall hanging. Stay tuned!