Saturday, July 18, 2015

Christmas Fabric Overload!

The fabrics pulled from the bin.
     It is hot today, and cool in the basement, so I decided to do something about the bin of Christmas fabric I have in my stash.  The result is frightening!   Although I have purchased most of this fabric, some of it came from my sister, who was downsizing her stash.  (She is responsible for the Christmas cow fabric!) Friends, these are NOT fat quarters - but yards and yards of holiday cheer, and in some cases, yards of really ugly holiday fabric.  My goal, between now and the end of the year, is to put a serious dent into this stash and get some Christmas presents done before Thanksgiving!  
Trying to organize it a bit by color.
Dark fabrics
More dark fabrics 
Some of the lighter fabrics 
More lightish fabrics.  The Alexander Henry modern Christmas fabric was something I picked up on sale last year, as is the wacky Santa, who appears to be drunkenly riding a reindeer.  
More fabric
Even more fabric.  I think there are at least 3 yards of the angel-wearing-combat-boots fabric.
Of course, I only have 1/2 yard cuts of this fabric (which is the best of the bunch) 
Hideous fabric.  What is the deal with the Christmas cows, and why are the snowmen on an olive green background?  
I have never worked with a panel like this before.  It is rather large, and I am not quite sure what I will do with it, but I will do SOMETHING!  
Too bad the light blues clash.
More snowmen! 
I am not sure which fabric was washed and which wasn't - so time to toss it in the washer, and start ironing and cutting.

Take care, and enjoy the summer heat.   If you have ideas on what I can do with this fabric, please let me know!

I am linking up to Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation - please keep checking back on my progress with this stash!
I'd love any comments and suggestions for all of this fabric!


Friday, July 17, 2015

Natural Trumpet Carry-All

The bits and pieces
My son, who is a musician, has many trumpets, including a natural trumpet which has many bits and pieces.  I had previously used some of my musical fabric stash for his musical table runners.  He asked me if I could create some sort of carry-all to keep these bits organized.   I started with a piece of utility fabric, above, and laid out the pieces which needed some pouches. 
I found some more musical fabric in my stash to use for the pouches.
Laying out the fabric pieces.
I marked the seams with pins before sewing them down. 
The carry-all in progress
After the pouches were made, I added a flap to keep the metal parts from hitting each other.  Here is the final product with the flap down
Final product with the flap up. 
I added some ties made of other trumpet fabric.  Velcro can make too much noise if opened during a concert or rehearsal! 
All finished with the bits ready to be tucked in.
All wrapped up and ready to go.  I used yet another musical fabric for the binding. 
Finished with my little tag! 
Here is his natural trumpet, in its case, and the carry-all fits right inside. 

I am always happy to make something useful out of my stash!

Take care,