|Flowers my husband gave me for my birthday.|
|A recent sunset over Lake Erie.|
I made two more pieces, and then started setting them into a white border. Easier said than done. Fortunately, I had lots of white Kona.
This being my first try at this, the shapes, especially in the first block, don't lay quite flat, and I tried to quilt them into submission. It didn't really work, but I did discover a method for quilting that worked better than going round and round after this one block. Notice how the quilting in the other blocks are within each separate piece.
I was moved to add that little piece of green on the one block, and quilted that with tiny bubbles, in contrast to the matchstick quilting on the rest of the piece. I also experimented with changing direction of the quilting in larger white blocks, and ended up binding it in my go-to black and white stripe. Unfortunately, some of the orange shows through the white, or else it bled. Now I know to be more careful about pressing direction! I did block it a bit, which got rid of some of the bumps, but the first block I did is still lumpy. Good to know I got better by the 4th block!
I quilted using thread matching the fabric in both the top and in the bobbin. I used a light gray Kona for the back.
The final piece measures 20.5 square. I put a picture on instagram (snugharborquilts - please follow me!) and asked for name suggestions. I had been thinking of "hot fun in the summertime" and got a few more great ideas. But, @raspberrypie suggested "Kandinsky's Child", which caused me to google Kandinsky's work, some of which I had seen in my design class last semester. Up popped his Color Study, Squares with Concentric Circles, 1913.
|Wassily Kandinsky, 1913, Color Study, Squares with Concentric Circles|
Love, love, love!!!!!! Now I want to continue to play with this concept, and try out different color combos. As an homage to Kandinsky, I am calling this piece Hey, Wassily! #1, with the thought that I'll have a whole series of these done by the end of the year.
Before that happens, I am finishing up a piece for a guild challenge, which is due to be presented at the early July picnic. The theme is "Mad for Plaid". I am using some fabrics I purchased a few years ago in Scotland. I'll share the finished piece soon! I am also getting ready to pick pieces to submit to the Erie County Fair, and someday, I'll finish the "On Ringo Lake" quilt!
Enjoy the beginning of the summer!