snug

snug

Friday, August 14, 2015

Christmas Fabric Finishes #1

 Oh my goodness, I have a lot of Christmas themed fabric!  You can read more about it here
Yards and yards off Christmas-y fabric! 
      My goal is to make a dent in this stash, and be ready for the upcoming holiday season.  The last few years, I have made some handmade gifts, but was aided by the federal furlough in October 2013, and the massive "Snow-vember" snowstorm in 2014.  Both events allowed me to stay home and sew.  Since I am counting on neither this year, best get cracking! 
     I decided to just start cutting. I pulled all the rich looking red and green florals, and started cutting.  Other than the dense nutcracker print, I stayed away from anything that seemed like a novelty fabric. The first project was going to be some herringbone table runners, similar to the musical table runners I made last year.  
I used all of these

I didn't use the snowmen or the checks or plaids 
I started with cutting 1/2 yard pieces from eleven different fabrics.  I had more than 1/2 yard for most of these fabrics.  I cut as many 2 1/2 inch strips as I could.  In all, I used up about 5 1/2 yards of the fabric
The strips

Close up of the fabrics
I sewed the strips together in groups of 5, and then made 60 degree cuts, and put the units together for a total of 10 on each side of the middle piece.


     All those strips yielded 7 table runners, each a bit different, and all rather pretty.  These are about 12 inches wide and 54 inches from point to point. 

     Here are a few tops auditioning on their own!



     I am sure to use up some additional yardage with the backing and binding.  In the meantime, I am working on some other runners - using a checkerboard pattern and a tumbler pattern.  More next week!

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Gretchen



No comments:

Post a Comment