Last year, I created two Nancy Drew quilts for some dear friends. Another friend, for whom I made a Kaffe Fassett purple quilt, asked me if I could make another Nancy Drew quilt for her sister, a lifelong Nancy Drew fan. Of course! My first commissioned quilt!
This was a bit of a challenge, because while I had some leftover fabric from the earlier quilts, I did not have enough to create a new quilt. I scoured the web to find some remaining yardage from that Moda collection. I couldn't design the quilt until I had the fabrics in hand. I found blue dotted material, a panel of the book covers in blue, and the the yellow magnifying glass fabric. Enough to start with, adding in pieces remaining from my earlier quilts.
I am always interested to see how others plan their quilts. I see in some blogs very detailed colored plans on graph paper, and even computer-aided designs. My plans for this quilt were not so fancy. Using the size of the books as the start, I tried to build a quilt pattern that would result in a nice lap size quilt, using the limited fabrics I had on hand.
I knew I was going to need a solid to go with the prints, and started trying out some combos on my design wall. I didn't like the green, so decided to stick with the blue and yellow combo.
I ended up getting a Kona in Royal to blend with the blue dotted fabric. It also seemed to go well with the little blue border I created from the book panel. I used the yellow to make a nice wide border around each book.
Here are close ups of each of the 4 panels I used. I have since cleaned up the messy counter!
I ended up using the blue solid to sash around the yellow bordered panels, and used bits of the Nancy head fabrics as corner blocks. Then I used about an 8 inch run of the blue dottend fabric for the outside border.
I love the Nancy head fabric. It is hard to quilt, as I try not to run the stitches right through her face! Below are some close-ups of the various Nancy Drew heads.
I have been buying fabric to make backings when it goes on sale, and liked how this red starburst fabric was so different from the front.Here is a picture of the finished quilt on the rug. I used some of the yellow magnifying glass for the binding.