|My fabric bowl projects - bowls #1 to #5!|
Well, I had some unexpected days off of work this week, and decided to finish a long overdue project - making a new cover for my ironing board. I have had my ironing board since college. Why buy a new one, when the old one is perfectly fine? But it wasn't. I needed a new cover, but when I took off the padding - ick! The metal had gotten all rusty. I didn't even want to take a photo of the rustiness, but my husband, normally put to work holding quilts, sanded and spray painted the metal so it was like new!
|Newly painted iron board base!|
|The great yellow happy fabric!|
|I had to piece together the curtain pieces to fit the large ironing board cover.|
|I used three layers of batting left over from quilts to go under the cover. I just put the old board on top of the batting, drew a line around it, and cut it out. I later added elastic to the batting to keep it taut.|
|Voila, the newly recovered ironing board! There is still a little too much give in the cover underneath, but that doesn't appear to affect the usefulness of the cover.|
I still had time off, and leftover fabric! I have wanted to try my hand at making fabric covered bowls. I checked out some internet sites, and without too much ado, just jumped into the project.
|Fabric strips and clothesline.|
The first attempt was predictably lame. I cut the fabric strips too wide, and used a non-cotton clothesline. I also didn't make much of a base, so the bowl is a little tipsy!
|My first fabric bowl!|
|The first fabric bowl!|
I got a bit fancy with this one, trying handles, and also a little fancy swirl to end the bowl.
|Showing the handles on Bowl #2.|
|Little fanciness to the bowl!|
To wrap the cord in fabric, I initially started by clipping the cord to the inside of my sewing cabinet, and just wrapping and pinning from there.
|Wrapping the cord.|
Still more time off - I tackled Bowl #3. I found a left over piece of fabric I had used in my daughter's broken dishes quilt. I was still using strips I cut at 1 1/2 inches, which I now realize was too wide. This was a much bigger bowl, with a pretty large base. I used some light blue threads for the zigzagging.
|Bowl #3, finished|
|A close up of the stitching and fabric|
|Close up of the bowl. I wish the fabric was wrapped tighter on the top of the bowl.|
I then bought some 100% cotton cord at a hardward store, which made a difference in how the wrapped cord handled.
|The new 100% cotton cord|
Bowl #4 used some I had some leftover quilting fabric from the quilt backing on my exotic garden quilt, and cut that up to use.
|The blue backing fabric.|
|Bowl #4 had a larger base, and the cotton cord made for a smoother bowl.|
|This bowl just looked better to me.|
|A close up of the inside of the blue and roses bowl.|
I then watched a video on making fabric baskets that was quite helpful. I should have watched it sooner! The big tip was to use very narrow strips of fabric to wrap. I had some leftover fabric I had used for curtains and a seat cover in the foyer, and cut it up in strips about 1/2 inch wide.
|The gorgeous fabric with rich jewel tones before being cut up!|
|The narrow strips.|
Bowl #5 was a great improvement. I used a deep red thread to complement the colors in the fabric.
|The finished bowl.|
|Bowl #5. I love this bowl!|
I am glad I got the hang of this. It is a great way to use up fabric scraps, especially home dec fabric that I wouldn't use (anymore) in a quilt. I am envisioning using some holiday fabric in a bowl or two!
I am also working on some quilts which I hope to share in the not so distant future.