Since the magazine is out today, I can finally reveal the quilt I made from a block I designed for the current Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks (Vol 15)(link here) As you can read below, this was a quilt made in a very short period of time - but it turned out to be such a vibrant, happy quilt.
I started on a block for submission to the magazine right after Christmas. I had an idea of small solid brights surrounded by yellow and white. I fussed with the four-patch colors to get the mix just right, making more bright little four-patches than I used.
I encased the little four patches in yellow and white, and put those blocks together to create the final 12 inch (finished size) block. I called it Candy Box, since the little bright pieces (eye candy! )were boxed in.
|The finished block.|
It dawned on me that I should have made a quilt with my block to post in conjunction with the publication. I had less than two weeks to put together a quilt! Luckily, I had a few four patches, some leftover strips, lots of bright Kona scraps and lots of yellow and white fabric! I was on a roll. No fussing here - I was cutting and sewing together little patches at random! I used a different (brighter) yellow for the quilt than I used in my block, only because that's what I had on hand.
|I strip pieced two colors, then cut those into blocks|
|So many little squares!|
|I used copious quantities of yellow and white!|
I initially made 20 finished squares, thinking that a 48 x 60 inch quilt would be nice. Going fast has its perils - my seam ripper is never far from me when I sew!
I laid out the 20 blocks on my "design floor" both in a rectangle (4 blocks by 5 blocks) and also on point.
I wasn't sure what to do for setting squares for the "on point" layout (and didn't have time to mull it over) but the rectangle quilt ( which would have finished at 48" x 60") wasn't large enough for a lap /nap quilt for me. I decided to quickly make up another ten blocks, to make the quilt 60" x 72". couch!)
|I couldn't resist a picture of my bright spring table runner with the bright quilt squares!|
Since this was speed sewing for me, I didn't fuss over the color combos. I did make sure that I didn't have the exact same color blocks next to each other, and I was very careful about the 1/4 inch seams, since the corners of the yellow and white are pretty obvious. I love how the quilt top looks. Eye candy to me!
Once I finished the top, I had only a few days left to complete the quilting and binding. No time for complicated quilting patterns or too much thinking! I wanted something happy and decided to do a large loop all over the quilt. I used white Aurifil on the top and in the bobbin and was able to quilt it in two days on my Tiara II.
I did wash and dry the quilt - especially since I had laid it on the concrete deck and on the beach! I used three sheets of Color Grabber to make sure the colors didn't run into the white! (I had NOT prewashed much of the fabric) This works so well. I use it with every quilt!
The colors did not run, and the quilt turned out nice and crinkly! I use Warm and White batting to keep the white crisp looking. I am also very proud of how well the seams matched in this. Usually that is NOT the case! I think this block would look great with other colors!
I didn't make it into the official blog tour, but you can find that link here.
Thanks for visiting!