snug

snug

Thursday, January 5, 2017

2017 - Scrap Basket Projects #1 and #2 complete!


Scrap Basket Project #2
       One of my many goals this year is to make a dent in my stash.  I have so many fabrics!  I have started trimming leftover fabrics into 10 inch and 5 inch squares, and 2 1/2 inch wide strips, and then putting them in boxes for use later, but that still leaves plenty of other usable, but less regularly sized pieces.    I have several plastic shoe boxes full of those pretty little scraps, so I have decided to start working on those.
These are the first two boxes I pulled!  
     I admit that when I make lists, I usually add in something I have already done, so I can check it off!  So, the first project from the Scrap Baskets will be the two pillow covers I knit up right before Christmas from long skinny scraps and selvedges.    I had posted about my ambivalence about these in December, but now find that these pillows are growing on me!

Scrap Basket Project #1
     My first project for 2017 was to attempt (for a second time) to make a scrappy baby bib.    I used the concept of a slab or vortex quilt block that Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts does so well. Rather than making a quilt, I planned to make the fabric for a cute little one of a kind baby bib.   When I started looking for bib patterns, I saw that this is not a novel concept.  The Nana Company site has a nice tutorial and pattern for a piece work bib. 

    I attempted that pattern, but decided to get "fancy" and quilt the bib pretty heavily.  So, while the bib is pretty darn cute - it is also pretty darn small.  In fact, way too small to go around a baby's neck! I used a work friend's baby as a tester.  It was a fail!
So cute - so tiny!  
       I don't have any handy babies around, so I recently picked up a bib at the local Walmart, mostly to check for neck sizing.
Store-bought bib. 

You can see the difference in the neck sizing.  
      I used the neck of the store-bought bib, and have been tweaking a pattern with some curves.  I used old file folders for the templates.
This patter incorporates a 1/4 inch seam all around.  I traced this on the back of the fabric, and then sewed to a piece of terry cloth (which I washed twice to reduce surprise shrinkage down the road)
      I needed a bib as a gift for a baby boy, so instead of the slab, I started with some 2 1/2 inch strips sewn together to make patchwork squares.  
Then I also made a slab from the same and some other fabrics.
     I find that making these slabs (about 10 by 12 inches) goes pretty easily without any ironing until the end and can be worked on while watching TV or a Netflix movie!
Slabs in progress
       I also tried my hand at a bib, using the same pattern, with just a single piece of baby themed fabric.  I like how that turned out, as well.
I have since tweaked the pattern to get rid of the uneven neck pieces! 
       Even though I have now made about a half dozen "slabs", the scrap pile is still pretty big.  I may pull together a baby quilt from these, as well.  In the meantime, Scrap Basket Projects 1 and 2 are done.

     Here is another look at the two pieced bibs.  I quilted in the ditch once down the middle and once across on these two bibs, but didn't quilt as heavily as the teeny pink ones I had previously made!

     After a green Christmas, we are now being bombarded with snow!  Enjoy!

Take care and stay warm!

I am linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts finish it up Friday.
Gretchen

1 comment:

  1. Your bibs turned out very nice, and I especially like the one made with squares. I have tried to make a slab of fabric, but my brain and eyes were not happy, the design was too uneven for me. Guess I prefer more even designs!

    ReplyDelete